Header Ads

Schoolgirl, 16, clutches soft toy as she is given life sentence for killing seven-year-old Katie Rough as victim's heartbroken family say: 'Our lives have been torn apart' (14 Pics)

A "DELUSIONAL" teen clutched a cuddly toy as she was sentenced to life for smothering seven-year-old Katie Rough to death before slashing her with a Stanley knife to see if she was a "robot".
Tragic Katie was cradled by her distraught mum Alison as she lay dying with her throat slit in a playing field in York in January.
Katie Rough was found with severe wounds in January of this year in a field near her home

Devastated Alison cried out "she's killed my daughter" after discovering the schoolgirl covered in blood.
She had severe lacerations to the neck and stomach after her 16-year-old killer, who can't be named for legal reasons, hacked at her with the knife.
Katie's tormented family said today their lives had been "torn apart" as her killer was today given a life sentence and an order to be detained for a minimum of five years.
The defendant clutched a soft toy as she appeared at Leeds Crown Court via video link as Katie's family looked on from the jury box.
Her parents arriving at court in January ahead of the trial over their daughter's death
Seven-year-old Katie died in hospital the next day after being found with serious injuries
Katie's mum, Alison, wrote this heartbreaking Facebook status after her daughter's death

Sentencing, Mr Justice Soole told her that "what precisely" happened on the field "is known only to you".
He added: "The utter tragedy and devastation of all this needs no emphasis."
The court heard there was "clear and unequivocal evidence that the girl still posed a dangerous risk to members of the public".
The "selectively mute" teen had also so far been "unwilling and unable to address her behaviour".
She pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility in July.
Her plea was accepted by the prosecution at an earlier hearing at Leeds Crown Court.
The field where Katie was attacked was close to her house near York

In a statement released via North Yorkshire Police after the sentencing, Katie's grieving family said the little girl's memory will "live on" in their hearts.
Post mortem results found Katie was suffocated with a gloved hand and cut open to test if she was a robot and "not human".
The youngster had a 6cm wound on her neck and a 20cm cut on her torso when she was discovered in the Woodthorpe area of York on January 9.
Her killer, who was 15 at the time, had called 999 to tell them what she had done while standing in a nearby cul-de-sac dripping in blood and clutching the knife.
The court heard how a bystander saw her "distressed" and caked in mud so he ran to where Katie's lifeless body was.
He saw her "lying on her back, her hands to the side and above her back. Her face was covered in blood".
In tribute to her daughter her mum got a tattoo on her wrist
The youngster was brought to her funeral service in a Dr Seuss-inspired coffin in February

Meanwhile, Katie's mum was growing concerned by her daughter's absence and walked down to the field calling her name.
She dialled 999 - 13 minutes after the defendant called the police - and was told a crime had been reported at the field.
Desperate Alison then ran to where Katie's blood-covered body was, the court was told.
Prosecutor Graham Reeds QC said: "Upon seeing the bleeding in Katie's hair, Alison started to scream. She tried to cradle Katie's head and the officer led both parents away in considerable distress.
"Paramedics arrived quickly but there was little they could do. They saw a large incise wound, 20 centimetres from her sternum to her stomach. It had cut through fat, skin and muscle.
"After working on her body for several minutes Katie was taken to hospital. She was reported to have no heart output but resuscitation attempts continued until they arrived.
"However, attempts to revive her failed and she was certified dead at 5.44pm."
Her parents requested mourners wore something colourful alongside the traditional black at her funeral

Her mum, Alison, wore a multicoloured bow in tribute to her daughter

The defendant at this point was detained at a nearby house where she "appeared upset and crying".
When asked if she had any weapons, she whipped out a red Stanley knife from one pocket and two spare blades were then found in another pocket when she was searched.
Officers also chillingly found a blood-stained green glove in the pocket of her hoody.
She was charged with killing the seven-year-old, as well as a charge of possession of an offensive weapon, after a DNA match was found.
A teenager accused of her death, but unable to be named for legal reasons, was today sentenced to life

Forensic officers pictured working at the field where Katie was found with serious wounds
Katie had been a bridesmaid for her parents at their wedding only weeks before her death

The court was told the teen had a history of depression, self harm and delusional beliefs - which included thinking other people were "robots" and "not real".
Her mental health had spiralled in the months leading up to the killing and she had ditched most of her school friends - instead developing an unsettling interest in the macabre.
She was suffering from a schizo-personality disorder when she attacked Katie, the court was told.
Hauntingly, she had already planned to kill as cops found a stuffed toy from the Lion King in her bedroom, which had its ears ripped off and chest sliced open.

But authorities failed to recognise the threat posed by the girl and just 48 hours before the brutal killing, she had posted a photo on Instagram showing deep cuts on her arms.
The harrowing caption read: "mentally seriously not ok".
Nicolas Johnson, QC, defending, told the court: "This was a shocking and deeply sad incident and a terrible and devastating tragedy for the family concerned.
"An extremely troubled and damaged girl which showed mental healthy problems which had increases of severity in weeks and days before this offence.
"She was disillusioned and had bad thoughts and she believed people were being controlled by a higher and hostile force."
Her funeral was held at York Minster where a Dr Suess-inspired coffin carried her body
Forensic officers had worked at the field to find clues of what had happened to little Katie

He later added: "Doctors thought it necessary to prescribe her with anti-depressants and she had been referred for psychiatric consultation."
In July, the judge said he wanted more questions answering by medical experts before he could pass sentence, and apologised to Katie's family for the delay.
At Katie's funeral in February, the youngster was brought to church in a Dr Seuss coffinfor a service led by the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu.
Katie's death shook the city of York and more than 1,300 people donated money to an online appeal for her family which raised more than £25,000.

Her parents have thanked all those who helped and said a lasting memorial would be established for their daughter.
They said: "It has helped us more than you can ever imagine."
A memorial bench has since been placed in the Museum Gardens, York, where the seven-year-old liked to feed the squirrels.
Detective Chief Inspector Andrea Kell, from North Yorkshire Police, said: "This investigation has been one of the most tragic, and challenging, I have ever dealt with during my career as a police officer.
"There are no positive results from cases such as these.
"Regardless of the conviction and sentence, nothing will ever replace the loss of Katie."

No comments