Header Ads

Doctor condemns mums for 'dangerous' practice of feeding their babies STRANGERS' breast milk - and claims they could kill their children

A doctor has condemned mums who revealed that they were feeding their babies a stranger's breast milk.
Lauren Roberts and Rebecca Poole said that they would rather turn to unknown donors rather than give their children formula milk.
However Public Health researcher Dr Sarah Steele claimed that what they were doing was "dangerous" and could result in making their babies seriously ill. She even said that their actions could even result in death.
The two mums appeared with their babies on This Morning today as they spoke about their decision to find women who were willing to donate their own breast milk. They both insisted that they met up with the women in person before taking their milk. Lauren and Rebecca said that they never paid for the milk.
A concerned Ruth Langsford asked: "Is that safe? Did that not worry you?"
But Lauren replied: "I chose it because I get to meet the mums that are donating it."
She had struggled to breast feed, despite thinking it would come naturally, and added: "I don't drink cow's milk myself so I wouldn't give it to him."
Eamonn was quick to point out that the babies were too young to have cow's milk anyway.
Meanwhile Rebecca said that she hadn't known the 'issue' with formula milk with her first child, who she found was "intolerant" and "didn't thrive".
Both confirmed that they didn't pay for the service, with Lauren saying: "There are people that try to sell it but it's all for the wrong reasons... it's all about spending time with them."
"It's a gut feeling, isn't it," Rebecca added.
But Ruth said: "It isn't just a gut feeling though isn't it?"
Rebecca clarified: "It's the questions you ask the mum."
Eamonn and Ruth then interviewed Dr Sarah Steele in Milan via video link and asked her opinion on the matter.
Dr Steele brought up the fact that there was a "critical issue" with bacterial risk as the milk the mums were receiving was not sterilised.
She said: "The really critical thing is that when milk goes to a bank... they're testing it and they're pasteurising it and goes to killing bacteria."
"It can be really dangerous, some of these bacteria can lead to illness... and even death," she said.
Dr Steele, who is a researcher at the University of Cambridge, advised that the mums talk to a lactation consultant.
She warned: "The risk is very high when you get it online."

No comments