Header Ads

Drink drive student who took her own life in cell 'forced to parade naked in front of prison staff'

A university student who took her own life in her prison cell was being "bullied and terrorised" by the other inmates, her parents claim.
Katie Allan, 21, was serving time behind bars for leaving Michael Keenan, 15, bleeding and unconscious in the middle of the road after hitting him with her car while over the legal drink drive limit.
But although the teenager, who made a full recovery, and his family pleaded with a judge not to jail her, she was sentenced to two years behind bars.
A social enquiry report had also recommended Katie, who was studying geography at Glasgow University and wanted to be a chef, should not be jailed.
In Polmont Prison in Falkirk, Katie was met with a barrage of torment from her inmates - and the stress led to her losing her hair.
She was also forced to parade naked in front of prison staff as as part of a jail training exercise, according to the Daily Record.
After her death in June, five months after her sentence 16 month sentence began, a pal described her as being a "sheep in a wolf's den."
She was scared of one particular bully who would force her to hand over her tobacco, according to The Sun.
A friend said: "She was definitely getting bullied. That and the prison environment directly contributed to her ending her life. She should never have been in there.
“One woman was making her give her tobacco, handing over her stamps, posting her letters for her. She had her scared s**tless."
Eventually, Katie was shipped to another prison for bullying her and another inmate, but the torment continued.
After turning 21, she was taken out of the young Offenders and put in remand with "all the junkies and down-and-outs."
The friend added: “She was the sweetest thing, a lovely lassie."
After the crash, Ms Allan, who was 20 at the time, was stopped by police after witnesses jotted down her number plate.
It happened in Eastwoodmains Road in Giffnock, East Renfrewshire, on August 10 last year.
Michael had been due to take his higher examinations but ended up with a broken ankle and a fractured eye socket.
He had to take two weeks off school and had to get around on crutches.
Katie's parents, Linda and Stuart, are now campaigning for justice for their daughter.
While they fully accept she committed a serious offence and deserved to be punished, they have raised serious questions over her legal representation and the court case which convicted her.
They are furious that Sheriff David Pender told the court it was “impossible” to give her a non-custodial sentence.
They have cited similar cases in which offenders were spared prison.
Linda said: “Katie had been bullied and berated and was in clear distress. She had lost her hair.
“On my last visit to see her with her brother, we knew something was wrong. She looked exhausted and hadn’t slept because she was being terrorised and bullied.
“We flagged this up with two of the prison officers and we now know that, just before she died, they had told her she might be moved to the adult prison. Katie would have been terrified.”
Linda and Stuart will now begin a campaign calling for serious reform of the criminal justice system
They have been backed by the family of the boy injured in the incident, Rev Stuart McQuarrie, the chaplain of Glasgow University, and the university’s rector, human rights lawyer Aamer Anwar.
Margaret Keenan, the mother of road accident victim Michael, said: “Katie was given a sentence we didn’t want and we were all devastated when we read that she had died.
“Katie had written to us again from prison to apologise for a second time and reiterated that she didn’t know she had hit Michael.
“The whole thing has been a tragedy for her family.”

No comments